Friday, January 9, 2015

Writing on the Wall


I had some friends over for New Year's Eve, and one of them noticed that there was writing on my bathroom wall.  He looked perplexed and impressed.  I told him that it comes right off the tile since it is drawn with dry erase markers.  Understanding the impermanence of the graffiti, he seemed to accept it.  At first, he thought that I write lists in the shower or something.  Then, he looked a little closer and read what I wrote.  Still puzzled, he opened up a dialogue about my logic behind writing this here.  Surely there were better things I had to do in the shower than write inspirational quotes?


The shower is the one brainless task we do [let's face it - almost] every day, during which we cannot be distracted or disturbed.  Sure, we brush our teeth, make our bed, take our vitamins; there are other daily monotonous tasks, so why is the shower special?  Easy.  I'm not talking about those simple 5 second tasks we do without thinking while the world around us is bustling with chatter, I'm talking about an activity we DO every day without distractions.  I make my bed while I'm figuring out what to wear for the day.  I brush my teeth often while I'm putting together my lunch or sending an e-mail.  I drive to work with the radio blaring and a to-do list forming in my head.  I'm multitasking every which way except in the shower.  My time in the shower is sacred.  It is sacred because I can lock the rest of the world out; nothing is being forced upon me but being with myself (and getting clean).


I live alone, but I'm sure that when I have children my precious "me time" in the shower will be even more sacred.  No matter how crazy life gets, we have to shower.  I can shower in silence or with some music on, but I don't have to think in the shower if I don't want to.  It feels amazing!  Sure, I often come up with a new song whilst I'm washing out my shampoo (and I can scribble lyrics on the wall if I'd like to), but I also take time to revel in the simplicity of feeling the water massage my skin.  If I feel the need to focus on a particular thought or goal, I write it on my whiteboard until it is etched in my brain, and then I let it be.  I allow it to become a part of me, and let it go without stressing about it.  I do this before I begin my day so that I gain whatever clarity of mind I need to bring into the day.  That is why you will find writing on the wall in my shower!

Where do you find peace?

Message(s) of the day: Find stillness where you can.
Enjoy the feeling of the water against your skin every once in a while.

...Or don't.  It won't change my reality.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment